Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Gluten Free Beer-Battered Chicken

I'm a big fan of the fried chicken strip as summer finger food, but when you're eating gluten free, it sort of puts a damper on your fried chicken consumption. However, by blending GF flour and a GF beer (thanks to my friend Paula for pointing me in that direction), I've managed to come up with the most amazing beer-battered fried chicken ever.

GF Beer Battered Fried Chicken

2 lbs chicken breasts, cut into tenders, nuggets, or whatevers
2 1/2 Cups gluten free multi-purpose flour (I used King Arthur brand)
2 Tbs your favorite seasoning mix
1/2 tsp salt
1 bottle Redbridge GF beer
Canola oil for frying

Put the baking mix in a bowl, and whisk in the salt and the seasoning mix. My personal preference is Penzey's Bicentennial Rub, because (a) it's amazing and peppery and (b) I *always* have it on hand. Once your dry stuff is mixed together, slowly pour the beer into the flour mix.


It helps if you let the beer get a little flat first, because otherwise you have fizzy batter. I used Redbridge, which I really like. It's made by the Anheuser-Busch folks, and I can pick it up at Kroger so there are no special shopping runs involved. It's made from sorghum, and even though I generally don't like the taste of beer, this actually has a pretty good flavor and no aftertaste.



 

Blend the beer and flour mix until it's good and thick. Coat your chicken chunks in the batter, drop into your heated oil, and fry until golden.

Dig in, and wait for your family to be impressed as hell that they're eating something that's gluten free.

No comments:

Post a Comment